Old Lady in Singapore

I once chatted with an old lady in Novena Town in Singapore

On that same day, we visited the Church of St. Alphonsus, a Catholic Church or commonly known as the “Novena Church”. With me is my sister who has visited the church a couple of times. It’s uplifting to be spending a moment to meditate and express devotion and appreciation to our Almighty for the bountiful blessings received.  


After church, we went straight to Novena Square Shopping Mall. My sister went to stop by in this shop and I was left sitting on the bench beside an old Lady. She initially looked at me, and as an opening greeting gave me a sweet sincere smile. But I was hesitant to communicate with her at first, I guess due to the fact that she might see it as a very straightforward motion for me to be talking a lot. But I was wrong; instead, this woman interrogated me first and asked me more questions, the quick meaningful conversation went on ……
__________________________________________________________

She asked me ”Your sister?” 
YES
She smiled again commenting, “You both have the same features except that you have a lighter complexion than her”.
I  SMILED AT HER
She asked again, “Are you working here?”
NO, I am just here for vacation. My sister and brother have been working here for years. 
__________________________________________________________

We communicated further and I asked for her whereabouts and who’s with her, and it saddens me to hear her story.

She was just strolling in the mall all by herself, supposedly she’ll go straight to St Alphonsus Church but her legs were too tired to walk so she decided to get inside the mall to rest for a while. Though not too much detailed information, but she has shared her life story quickly as I asked questions about her family. 

She has been working in Singapore since her younger year’s leaving her family in China. She simply commented that all the people she has been with here in the city, just come and go and that at the end of the day she has to live all by herself. I can feel the reluctance from her to go into details as we exchanged responses, she continued to reply to me in short accounts.

But just a few minutes before my sister came back she shared a final note to our conversation, asking me if I was planning to work here in Singapore. She has finally commented for me to look for another opportunity, with her sad face and a nod after such.

Her general statements have brought so many questions on me, mystified at what she really wants to imply. 

But one thing I realized, I can distinguish from her emotions the loneliness, and misery on all the experiences she carries within her. 

To this writing, I hope and pray she’s in a good and safe condition and that God may guide her allowing her to smile as she can despite any challenges in life.  

_________________________________________________________________



REFERENCES:

Comments