Inle Lake Itinerary




As I randomly browse thru Instagram I saw a photograph of fishermen doing a traditional way of fishing on one leg, hands-free at the extreme end of their boats. Based on its location I researched more about it and found out that they are called the "Intha Fishermen" in Myanmar. From then on, I have been very eager for a big travel plan, curious to see it with my own eyes and I told myself one day I should be here for another unique travel experience. 

-------



3 DAYS and 2 NIGHTS
 in 
INLE LAKE 
Inle Lake is located in the southern part of the Nyaungshwe Township of Taunggyi District. It is an inland freshwater lake, considered as the 2nd largest in the country. With this, a lot of people are mostly engaged in fishing and farming. Although unexplored, tourism is also one developing sector in the tow. 

The place is more laid back than I expected it, a different kind of vibe and community compared in Bagan. It is comprised of different ethnic minorities, wearing distinguishing colorful garments. Most of them are so welcoming, giving those friendly smiles, resembles Chinese descendants, and you will see many of them during weekends when they visit the market. Monks, young and old ones are also roaming anywhere. With their daily alms tradition, most locals will always offer food and cash. 

Contrary to what may think of about the country, I certainly can attest that it is one of the safest destinations I have visited for an authentic experience. From all 3 cities I have visited in Myanmar, Inle Lake is my favorite. It can be considered one of the most rural destinations I have been to. But since I started traveling overseas I have always felt that unique connection every time I reached laid-back places coupled with its authenticity, and the town is certainly, one of them. 


1ST DAY 
Arrival from Overnight Bus Ride from Bagan
Checked in at the Immana Grand Hotel 
Floating Gardens and Inle Lake Boat Tour 

2ND DAY
Town Center Stroll 
Bike Ride to the Red Mountain Estate Vineyard 
Bike Ride around the town center for Sunset

3RD DAY
Finding Myanmar's Best Coffee 
Market Visit and Photo Ops
Overnight Bus Ride to Yangon




BAGAN TO INLE LAKE by BUS RIDE
To reach my 3rd destination in Myanmar, I had to endure another overnight bus ride coming from Bagan. Finally, I have made it happened and I'm in Inle Lake just a week after my 34th birthday, I consider this a long-awaited gift for myself.

I arrived early morning welcomed by a beautiful sunrise. Drivers immediately approached all passengers on the bus asking which hotel accommodation are we getting in. They usually group tourists according to your accommodation or area. This local transport can be compared to a small jeepney but bigger than a tricycle which can accommodate around 10 people, and like how we used to sit in jeepneys.




ACCOMMODATION
I stayed in the Town center again, just in front of the museum and near the market. Booked via Agoda and I had IMMANA GRAND INLE HOTEL for 2 nights accommodation.

Other tourists would prefer to stay in hotels located by the lakeside to get a better view of the place. 

Upon arrival, I was entertained well by the hotel staff. They offered that I can check-in earlier, knowing that I came from an overnight trip. Always grateful to get that fair treatment as a customer.  

My stay in INLE LAKE is only for 1 night and 2 days, but I decided to extend for another night. That would mean 1 day less in Yangon. The following day the hotel staff had to transfer me to a different room since another tourist is already booked in my solo room. Unexpectedly, they transferred me to a Family Room for my 2nd-night at no extra cost. I’m really thankful to all the staff for being so kind, helping me move my luggage and making sure I feel comfortable the whole time, from my room accommodation to my day tours, and during breakfast.



Most accommodations nowadays will always offer their tour options. They will organize it for their customer to save you the hassle of planning. Of course, you will be paying extra for this kind of service and the additional fees makes it more expensive. It will still be your final say to grab it, if not you can go with some travel agencies. You just needed time to find their offices and get price quotes. 

For my day tour, I decided to share the boat with another solo traveler which saves me more of my budget. 

On the other hand, a bicycle is also on standby for customers who will be roaming around the town, and this is all for free! This will serve as your means of transportation for the next few days, it is an advantage to learn how to bike.



1ST DAY
INLE LAKE DAY TOUR
Cost: 18,000 - 20,000 Kyat or $10 - $12 / pax

Since I had a good rest from the overnight bus, I decided to go for the boat tour for my 1st day in the town. 

I did the day tour in Inle Lake with the hope of catching a glimpse of the sunset and the long-awaited dream of mine to see the "Intha Fishermen" to show more of their one-legged fishing skills. 

Some boat tours would actually charge extra if you will need to stay until night time for this photo op, but ours will be an 8-5pm whole day tour. I was joined by another very nice lady from Spain who happens to be on solo travel as well. Glad to be sharing the boat ride with her, who happens to be a customer in the same hotel.




We didn’t hire a tour guide but rented a boat instead for the whole day. For tours, they commonly used a long, narrow type of motorized boat with wood divisions for guests to be seated. 

This doesn’t have the boat roof nor the umbrella set-up so make sure you bring your caps, hats, or shawls for protection from the heat. 

If in case it rains bring with you a dry bag. Don’t forget to hydrate and never forget to bring your bottled water!








As we moved towards the center of the lake, the engine gets faster and faster. Then from a distance, you would be seeing the Fisherman wearing hats and their longyi showing their skills in standing position, with the other foot maneuvering the cone-shaped fishing net. 

Unexpectedly, this is now commercialized, and most of them don’t do it for living anymore but for tourist shows and awareness. If you give a tip, the boat can go nearer and they will show you more movements.

After this quick viewing, we moved forward to the inner side passing by the lakeside houses, constructed in colorful paintings. And then you will be seeing the famous Floating Gardens of the Intha people (Inle Lake tribe). They grow a variety of vegetables in the lake like root crops, veggies, beans, tomatoes, and some cucumbers.





OTHER PLACES we visited during the BOAT TOUR: 
  • Nga Phe Chuang Monastery - Presents large statues of Golden Buddha and this is another sacred site of the locals. 
  • Lotus Weaving Factory - There are mostly old women working in this factory. They use Lotus plants from the lake and undergo an extraction procedure that makes it into a fiber thread. These threads will then be used for weaving for locally produced lotus clothing and fabric.
  • Cheroot Cigar Factory  -  Cigarettes made of Cheroot leaves, and locals will let you try it for free! I did it for one roll one puff to get the taste and it was good. They also offer a variety of cigar flavors like rice wine, tamarind, banana, etc.
  • For Lunch - We had a stopover in a Restaurant located in the middle of the Lake. I had another Chicken meal in Curry Sauce. This is another relaxing moment to get a better view of the vast lake and the mountains surrounding it.
  • Phaung Day Pagoda - another Buddhist Site in the Lake with 5 big images in it.
  • Kayan Padaung Tribe - These are the natives from the northernmost part of Thailand.










2ND DAY
BIKE RIDING in TOWN CENTER
RED MOUNTAIN ESTATE VINEYARD
11 KM Bike Ride ( 42 m Elevation )
1 Hour Ride

I had to ask the hotel staff to choose a smaller bike that I can use for this trip. I also prepared my offline maps, kept it opened on my mobile before I left my hotel so it will trace my path via GPS helping me find the place. But I kept asking for directions from locals to making sure I don’t get lost. 

The bike ride to the Vineyard was a challenging experience. The road is cemented all the way and you'll get to pass by a lot of green landscapes and the local market. 

With the road becoming steeper I had to stop by and breathe for some air. I know I was nearing the main entrance. My heartbeat was pumping so fast, I was sweating a lot. I have never biked this far back in the Philippines.

But this is really a fulfilling adventure before you get to the topmost view of the mountain. 

Wear some sunnies and don't ever forget to bring bottled water if you plan to be here :-) 




Surprise! A breathtaking landscape awaits as your reward. 
The area has a beautiful garden maintained by the owner and his staff. They set up tables on the side, getting ready for customers to arrive. 

This site is one perfect view for sunset, then you can order food and of course their locally made wines. I had a glass of white wine and ordered some crepes with banana, a perfect pair to reward myself for doing the challenging bike ride all by myself.

















I went home and biked faster as I noticed it’s getting gloomy, then just in time I reached the central area, it started to rain, so I just bought some snacks and drink hurriedly for my pre-dinner.



3RD DAY 
TOWN CENTER WALKING TOUR 
MARKET TOUR
On my 3rd and last day in the city, I went out and bike around the town to look for their local coffee and also visited the busy market for some photo ops. I had so much fun taking pictures of the locals, most of them giving me their welcoming smiles, while I'm holding my big camera. Glad to be able to share my photos on this page. 

Inle Lake has a lot of tribes and it's totally an interesting sighting for me to have witnessed. People are kind and would treat you fairly wherever you came from. It's a plus that they speak good English! especially the locals working in their restaurants and hotels. 

My trip to NYAUNG SHWE is one fulfilling experience to cherish with all the good things that have happened, me extending my stay and being so laid-back with no rush for my activities. I felt most relaxed staying here, I wish can still be back and stay longer than I can. I must say this has been one favorite city to date. 































































Comments