Myanmar Travel Guide



MYANMAR TRAVEL GUIDE

Bordered by Thailand, Laos, China, & Bangladesh and is comprised of regions and states, the vast and beautiful land of Myanmar is another major Buddhist nation in Asia. It is made up of different ethnic groups, each with distinct traditions, another unique destination to explore. 

It's popularly called the Golden land as wherever you go you will see glittering small and big Pagodas. It has preserved elegant structures and buildings with so many beautiful landscapes surrounding it, from its vast lakes, tropical forest, rivers, with mysterious lovely mountains.

Other than its magnificent landscapes, I would highlight the genuine kindness of the Burmese people that have made me fall in love more. To this writing, I must say Myanmar is my favorite destination.





Burma as what was formerly called is one of the countries that I have always longed to visit in the past years. Having read a number of blog entries, it made me more interested to push thru with my travel plans the soonest when I have reached my targeted budget. 


Despite random news, we have heard about the country, it continues to gain the attention of so many tourists. Just recently it has opened its borders making it a visa-free entry for Asian Nationals, so I thought I should make it happen. And as they say, this is the best time to explore Beautiful Myanmar before it gets very crowded. 



Traveling is a great way to free up myself from the daily work routine and a big reward for all the hard work I have done in the past months. To that note, I know in myself I will never stop with my journey. 

The important thing is the opportunity to discover another place of diversity, to witness a new culture and a new way of life. Another chance of being able to meet people, discovering local food, and exploring interesting tourist sites. 

It took me a while to make this realized but I ended up with an itinerary visiting 3 main cities for my 10-day vacation. It was a major challenge to come up with a travel schedule that I can maximize all I wanted to accomplish in just 10 days adding to that the travel time - both bus and plane rides.

So this is one of those trips I didn't come up with a super detailed itinerary being too ambitious of completing a 3 city visit. Although I tried my best to do some research, read and listed down important details for references. 

To free up my anxieties, I said, let it be and I will make my decision what's best when I am already in my destination. 




I am definitely excited to come up with another series of posting as I share my travel stories and photographs with my recent trip to Myanmar. I have visited popular tourist destinations like Yangon Region, Bagan in Mandalay State, Inle Lake Nyaung Shwe in Shan State

Each city I have visited has its own story to tell, with its own uniqueness and beauty which I truly treasure to have experienced them all. 

All destinations will be completed via overnight buses which will be booked as soon as I arrived in the country. I know it will be a challenge on my itinerary but nevertheless, I find it always enjoyable to do long rides. Other than the idea that it saves me accommodation expenses but it is an opportunity for deep reflections as you traverse. 

My initial travel plan was to go North of Vietnam but browsing thru Air Asia flights I found affordable Flights from Cebu to Yangon. This will have transit stops in Malaysia hence I decided to change plans and booked my ticket for my 10-day Trip for Myanmar transiting in Kuala Lumpur. 

COUNTRIES and CITIES I HAVE VISITED
  • MALAYSIA - Kuala Lumpur Transit for 12 hours
  • MYANMAR – Yangon | Bagan | NyaungShwe | Yangon
  • THAILAND – Bangkok Overnight Stay
  • MALAYSIA - Kuala Lumpur Transit for 12hours
Early this year I already started traveling alone in the Philippines as a preparation for this one big trip. Finally, after three years of planning, I have made it happen. I will be traveling solo for the first time in an International destination.

Leaving the country a day after my natal day has totally surprised my family. As a practice, I always do not want to tell my travels to anyone, or when and where exactly I am going to avoid travel jitters and unwanted comments. 

You would expect these from know-it-all people (those who haven't even traveled), they would suggest plans on what to do and what not. I have been in that situation a lot of times.




MYANMAR
7 DAYS ITINERARY
BAGAN 
NYAUNGSHWE 
YANGON 
YANGON
DAY 1: ARRIVAL in YANGON International Airport 
Money Exchange 
Purchase Overnight Bus ticket 
Temple Visit  
Yangon Circular Train 
Dinner at Holly Hotel 
Overnight Bus to Bagan 

BAGAN 
DAY 2: ARRIVAL in BAGAN
Half-Day Tour and Sunset Watching 
DAY3
Mount Popa Tour 
Overnight Bus to Nyaung Shwe 

NYAUNGSHWE 
DAY 4: ARRIVAL in NYAUNG SHWE | INLE LAKE 
Inle Lake Tour 
DAY 5 
The Vineyard and Bike Ride to the Mountain
DAY 6: 
Temple Tour and Market Visit 
Search for Coffee 
Overnight Bus to Yangon 

YANGON 
DAY 7: ARRIVAL in YANGON 
City Center Walking Tour  
Night Departure for Bangkok via Air Asia 



Y A N G O N 
I have explored the country in a Circle route. From Yangon, I went to Bagan then to Inle Lake and then back to the main city in Yangon. 

My first stop in Myanmar is in Yangon which is the capital city.

DOLLAR TO KYAT MONEY EXCHANGE 

Upon arrival coming from a morning flight in Kuala Lumpur I had to exchange my dollars in Kyat which is the Myanmar currency and of course, bought a chicken curry meal for my first breakfast! which was so much good. 




The day was a little gloomy but I was amazed when I went outside of the airport and saw the locals with the drivers wearing the famous "longyi" - this is a sheet of cloth wrapped around as their lower garment and with their red teeth giving that welcoming smile. Just a late reaction and I smiled back. Yes, I am finally here in Myanmar after nearly 24-hours of traveling. 


Yangon city has overwhelmed me with the different personalities I meet and the large crowd of people something I didn't expect. 


OVERNIGHT BUS TICKET 
From the Airport had to proceed immediately to the Aung Minglanar Bus station to purchase my overnight bus ticket going to Bagan which is a 10-hour ride. I had JJ Express, First Class Bus for $20. 

I decided to drop by at the nearby Holly Hotel for a comfortable place to stay while waiting for my night trip. I had my lunch here, took advantage of the free wifi and left my bags at the reception so I can freely go out and spend my whole afternoon exploring nearby tourist spots. I'm very grateful to all the hotel staff, who were all so gracious in taking care of me and made sure I get all things I needed,  patiently gave suggestions and directions for my travel plans.


FIRST PAGODA VISIT 
YANGON CIRCULAR TRAIN RIDE
I took advantage of the time visiting the nearest Pagoda in Mingalanar Station and also experiencing the Yangon Circular Train Ride in the afternoon for a quick glimpse of the city center, which took 3 hours but surprisingly was a PHP 7 ride or that’s half a dollar! 

More stories about my Yangon Itinerary in this link >>>>





B A G A N 
I have arrived in Bagan town at early dawn. This is my official 1st town in the country to explore. 

The bus ride was not that comfortable, maybe I was too anxious to travel alone and to finally be in my next destination.

To my excitement, I never planned for my chosen transport going to the hotel. As soon as I stepped out of the bus I saw a horse carriage, agreed on the price and decided to get in for 20,000kyat. This I don't really recommend as it is nearly the same price as the private car. 

At some point, I got scared for a while as the driver tried to be insistent for me to avail of the temple day tour. I managed to convince him that I needed to rest first, so he stopped haggling. 


Read more about my BAGAN Stories here >>> 







N Y A U N G S H W E 
This is the township where the famous tourist spot Inle lake is located. It also happens to be one of the main reasons why I decided to really visit the country, and that's to be able to witness these fishermen show their unique one-leg rowing skills.

Inle Lake is one of my favorites, to note that it has a very unique charm and vibe. I fell in love with the simplicity of the place, with lakes and mountains and the presence of welcoming locals I have met around. In which I decided to stay for 2 nights in the city, and letting go of my overnight accommodation in Yangon. 

INLE LAKE TOUR 
With sunny weather, my first day is scheduled for a tour around Inle Lake and the Floating Gardens. I shared a boat ride with another tourist from Spain, who happens to be a very nice woman and shared the same photography enthusiasm. 


RED MOUNTAIN ESTATE VINEYARD 
I have experienced riding the bicycle in the city, availed it free from my accommodation. It was a 12-kilometer bike ride going up to the mountains. I've tasted the white wine paired with the banana. This is also a perfect venue for sunset watching overlooking the beautiful panorama of Inle Lake. 





MYANMAR TRAVEL LINKS




Comments

  1. I wish to show thanks to you just for bailing me out of this particular trouble.As a result of checking through the the net and meeting techniques that were not productive, I was thinking my life was done. Myanmar Tourism Services

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment