Yangon Travel Itinerary



Myanmar is another beautiful destination in Asia for travelers to explore, and a trip to Southeast will be incomplete without visiting the country with lesser crowds at the moment. 

 Formerly known as Rangoon, Yangon is hailed as the capital city of Myanmar and it is also considered the largest city in the country. The main city is a bustling metropolis that combines all the beauty of traditional Burmese culture with all the comforts that a modern city would offer.







The colonial presence of the British ruling is evident with their landscapes and structures. On the other hand, you would noticed influences from Indian, Chinese, and the local Burmese traditions. 

Yangon is an amazing city to discover with the city blending everything from its old tradition, and with the conveniences of what a capital city would be offering. 

Here you can find a number of attractions, with bigger pagodas and temples. Transportation is an easy access as they have buses roaming around the city and a circular train that allows you to tour around the city, with an overwhelming variety of local restaurants to choose for your hungry mouths. 









With the decision of traversing 3 cities in the country, I was so overwhelmed with my travel plans. So I had to loosened up a bit, decided to be more flexible with my choices, and set my mind to be ready for any plans that may not turn out as I wanted it to happen. 

But of course, I wanted to be sure that I have done my best. I did my own research for online articles and it helped a lot to narrow down my choices for my travel guide. 

Looking back, I thought I made the right decision and capped everything here in Yangon. I’d say this has been one of those interesting adventures I have done given the time, and the fact that I am traveling solo.

Y A N G O N 
ITINERARY



1ST DAY
Arrival at Yangon Airport via KL
Aung Minglanar Bus Station for Overnight Bus Ticket 
Temple Visit  
Afternoon Lunch at Holly Hotel
Yangon Circular Train 
Overnight Bus Ride to Bagan 

2ND DAY
Arrival in Yangon from Nyaung Shwe via Overnight Bus 
Check-in at Backpacker House | Shower and Breakfast
City Center Tour
Shwedagon Pagoda
Inle Lake and Kandawgyi Lake
Sule Pagoda
Holy Trinity Cathedral
Peoples Park
Evening flight to Bangkok




Coming from Cebu, I booked an Air Asia flight with transit stop for 12 hours in Kuala Lumpur. I have arrived in the country via Yangon Airport. 

Initially, Yangon should have been the first city I should explore. But from here I decided to travel straight to Bagan on the same day of my arrival and followed the circle route for my Myanmar Itinerary. 

I only stayed in the city for 12 hours during the day time before traveling to Bagan. Then after 7 days coming from Nyaung Shwe, I came back to the main city for another day tour escapade. 

Since I decided to extend my stay in Inle Lake, it meant I will be missing spending a night in Yangon. Although I still had my backpacker space to get a quick shower, a big breakfast, and leave some of my belongings while I stroll around for a walking tour. 


Breakfast before Temple tours while having this view from my accommodation




1ST DAY in YANGON
......Now before I would end my Burma Travels, I will be exploring quickly and meaningfully as I can the main city of the country.


DOLLAR TO KYAT MONEY EXCHANGE 
Upon arrival coming from a morning flight in Kuala Lumpur I had to exchange my dollars in Kyat which is the Myanmar currency and of course, bought a chicken curry meal for my first breakfast! which was so much good. 

The day was a little gloomy but I was amazed when I went outside of the airport and saw the locals and drivers wearing the famous "longyi" with their red teeth giving that welcoming smile. 

Just a late reaction and I smiled back. Yes, I am finally here in Myanmar after nearly 24-hours of traveling. 

From the Airport I was welcomed by my cab driver with a big smile in his bright red lips with his red-stained teeth. This is a distinguishing trademark for a lot of locals. Their teeth get stained in reddish-black after chewing lots and lots of Betel Nuts. If Vietnamese drink their tea and coffee to lift up themselves, then Burmese people have their Betel Nut for energy, others may still pair it with their local coffee. 


You will find a local seller of Betel Nut in every corner of their streets


As you walk around, you will spot a lot of locals wearing colorful skirts called “Longyi". This is a sheet of cloth wrapped around their lower body, and they have their teeth red-stained as they continue to chew the betel nut and you will see lots of them along the sidewalks. 











YANGON BUS STATION
FIRST PAGODA VISIT 
From the Airport had to proceed immediately to the Aung Minglanar Bus station to purchase my overnight bus ticket going to Bagan which is a 10-hour ride. I had JJ Express, First Class Bus for $20. I will be departing in the evening so I needed to leave the station and decided to bring with me my stuff instead of leaving at JJ office.


Just across the terminal, is an old Pagoda, where you can just get in for free. At that time a number of locals were in and out, to pray, and with some offerings. I decided to go in, bringing my backpack and this is the first time I had to take off my shoes and my socks to walk around barefoot in one of Myanmar's pilgrimage sites.



1st Temple I visited in Yangon right across Aung Minglanar Bus Station

Yangon city has overwhelmed me with the different personalities I meet and the large crowd of people something I didn't expect. 

From the Bus station area, I had a motorcycle ride, and ask the driver to bring me to the Holly Hotel for a comfortable place to stay while waiting for my night trip. I had my lunch here, took advantage of the free wifi, and left my bags at the reception so I can freely go out and spend my whole afternoon exploring nearby tourist spots. 

I'm very grateful to all the hotel staff, who were all so gracious in taking care of me and made sure I get all things I needed,  patiently gave suggestions and directions for my travel plans.



YANGON CIRCULAR TRAIN RIDE
I took advantage of my free time in the afternoon and experienced the Yangon Circular Train Ride for a quick glimpse of the city center, which only took 3 hours but surprisingly was a PHP 7 ride or that’s half a dollar! 

Exactly alternate to the previous towns in Bagan and Inle Lake, Yangon is more vibrant and crowded, with the presence of distinguishing fusion of cultures in the city. 




YANGON Circular Train Stories 

1st Train Station I have visited, nearest to my Hotel






 











2ND DAY 
City Tour
Temple Tours 
From an overnight bus from Nyaung Shwe, I came back to Yangon. 

This is officially my 2nd day in the main city and decided to visit the most popular temples in which I will be walking around the city center. This allowed me to capture more of the beautiful sights and landscapes and witnessed how locals spend their usual day in the capital city

Yangon is a mixture of different races and religions, but they share the same goodness amidst differences. I really adore the positivity in the community, how they are respectful to one another and their visitors, regardless of race, color, and religion.

I have officially ended my 10 day trip in the country but I continue to reminisce about that exciting experience to have discovered one of the most beautiful destinations in Asia. 


A day spent is not enough to explore the big city with all the interesting sights around. This just meant for another comeback soon, when time permits me to do so. 


A beautiful structure at the entrance of Shwedagon Pagoda








Brace yourself as you roam around and you will be enticed to grab a bite of those attractive, mouth-watering snacks and food sold along the busy streets with some locals busy bringing in their street carts to sell more local food.




Before going home, I have managed to ride their Airport bus from the central area which travels straight to the airport. Although there were a number of stops along the way but I had it at a very affordable price and it was an opportunity to have a last glimpse of my favorite Burma.


Airport Bus is right across in this area















Comments