Bagan Myanmar Itinerary


Bagan is one of the most well-loved cities in Asia that a tourist will never miss visiting when they get to Burma. 
Your South East Asia travels will be incomplete if you haven't been here.

One couldn’t afford to miss this laid back destination and see for themselves another scenic region with majestic pagoda and stupas, as well as Buddhist temples, and discover another new tradition in the country.

It is considered as another UNESCO Heritage site, with temples made of stone that are still standing in good condition. Although some of them are currently being restored during my visit. 

Unknown to so many, we will never know what happened, why the place has been left abandoned this way. But these centuries-old structures is a reflection of its history, to depict a strong foundation and devotion from the early Buddhist empire. The Ruins of Bagan remain to be one of the most important regions for Burmese people, even until now.

2 DAYS 1 NIGHT 
ITINERARY 
in 
BAGAN



Day 1 
Arrival in Bagan via Overnight Bus from Yangon  
Early Check-in at Zfreeti Hotel 
Temple Tours - Sunset Watching 
Local Restaurant Dinner 

Day 2
Mt. Popa Tour 
Walking Tour  
Local Restaurant Search 
Overnight Bus ride to Inle Lake 


YANGON to BAGAN by BUS 
COST: $10 - $23, depending on bus lines. 
TRIP DURATION: 9 to 10 hours. 
TERMINAL: Aung Mingalar Bus Station Yangon 

I decided to do to the circle route and, had Bagan as my first official destination in the country to explore. 

Reached Bagan via bus ride from Yangon. The first thing I did right after arrival coming from the airport is getting my money exchanged in Myanmar Kyat and booked my bus ticket. Although I did spend a quick tour in the city to maximize my time, I will be putting that on a different story under my Yangon Itinerary Guide. 

Thank God My Taxi Driver was good to me. Although he asked for a little amount, no worries I gave him that for bringing me safely to Yangon Bus station. 





NOTE: You also have the option to get on a Plane ride the easiest or get a Train ride which takes longer more or less 20 hours from Yangon Central Railway Station. I would suggest, booking tickets in advance for bus and train rides, as there some occasions that they get sold out so quickly. 

Other popular bus lines are, Mandalar Min Express, Khine Mandalay Express, Bagan Min Thar, Elite, etc. and more latest updates on the web. 


I had chosen JJ Express Bus, which is one of the most popular lines I have read from some articles. There will be several options, varies on the pricing and comfort it provides. Each passenger will be provided with some amenities, including a pillow, blanket, snacks, and a bottle of water. I was joined with different tourists, Chinese, Korean, Europeans traveling as couples, groups, and a few on solo travel. 

It was a 10-hour ride, left around 9 in the evening, and arrived around 4 am in Bagan terminal. Unluckily I was not able to sleep soundly on this trip, maybe too anxious about what is going to happen in the next days. 



This has been a desperate move I've done of all my travel escapades. 
I must admit I felt grumpy then, coming from my Saturday work shift and then the same day flew to Malaysia and slept overnight at the Airport Capsule Hotel. 
I had my 2nd flight early Sunday morning to Yangon and on the same day did an overnight bus ride arriving in Bagan early morning of Monday, that's around 48-hrs travel time.

But definitely, no regrets, though it was challenging, tiring, it all paid off with good experiences and beautiful memories. 

This is my first bus ride alone on an international destination, and I couldn’t even imagine myself finally doing it, I am just super amazed it finally happened. 
So far so good, my plans are all in line with what I intended it. 




ARRIVAL IN BAGAN
Arrived around 4AM in Bagan Shwe Pyi Bus Station, the one and only central terminal in the town. 

Here you have different options for rides, you can get a cab/taxi, motorcycle, and the horse cart which will be the cheapest one. These will be the same options you will have to choose when doing your guided tours. 

A man approached me asking if I go for the horse ride, and after some negotiation, I said yes at a good price. Before I left my Korean bus mates asked if I am alone, maybe they were worried about me traveling this dawn time.  


Drivers would always start to be pleasant and nice, and so was my horse cart driver. My bag placed at the back, and I seated beside him. Then I realized, this ride will take me longer to arrive at my hotel since the horse is kinda small so the driver kept pulling him to do it faster. 

Upon reaching an open area, I found it very gloomy then the driver suddenly asked if I plan to do a day tour. He finally popped the question. It scared me at some point, he said it in English but sounded aggressive, and he was insisting for me to accept the offer and even haggled with the price. 

In my mind, other than the fear, I thought I can’t choose this ride for my day tour as it’s time-consuming and it will be unhealthy to stay up the whole day in the scorching heat of the sun. 

I have composed myself and come up with an honest answer. I simply told him it’s been a tiring trip for me and I need to rest the whole day, I won’t be doing any tours. So please give me this time to decide. 

I had to repeat this message and tell him I can’t accept the offer. Luckily, just a few minutes of debating, we reached a more well-lighted roadside. I checked my offline maps, and I’m now nearing my place. 

This sometimes happens to anyone, you start so good talking to each other, then you ended up being cranky, and sometimes disagree on the pricing and the quality of the trip. That’s one experience I will never forget. On the safe side, I should have traveled and shared the ride with another tourist.


TRANSPORTATION 
  • Taxi -35$  - Most Expensive but keeps you out of the heat, saves you time and with the dusty roadside spending the whole day tour
  • Horse Cart $10 - The cheapest, classic way to travel the place but the slower option
  • Bicycles


So much for my arrival story, I have finally made it to my Hotel. Thank God! 



ACCOMMODATION

  • Old Bagan 
  • Nyaung U 
  • New Bagan 


Bagan is comprised of 3 major areas, and it mainly depends on your budget, preferences like food, area, accessibility that would help you narrow down to the best option.


In my stay in Bagan, I made sure to get good accommodation as a reward for this 48-hour trip coming all the way from Cebu, to Kuala Lumpur, then Yangon - it's one of the longest trips I have had so far. I chose to stay in the central area in Nyaung U - booked via Agoda at ZFREETI HOTEL.

I’m grateful, that I have chosen one of the best budget hotels. Upon arrival, I was offered a lemon ginger drink to refresh myself. The staff knew that I  came from Yangon then offered to give me my room earlier than the scheduled time so I can take a rest. I'll be staying here for 2 days and 1 night, then off to my 2nd city trip.  


The hotel recommended taxi rides for tours and also offered to book a ticket for my Yangon trip the next day. I decided to go for the taxi ride after my morning experience with the horse cart driver. I can’t afford to stress myself again. 


Buffet area for Breakfast - one of the best :-)
Before resting I talked to the driver and agreed to take me for a half-day city tour in the afternoon. A wise decision so I won’t get temple overwhelmed and I will have the chance for the sunset which my driver promised to bring me to a good spot. 

The well-known temple and one of the biggest is actually closed at the moment for restoration so he said there's another spot for this.


1st Temple I visited in Bagan - there were only 2 tourists when we arrive


TEMPLE TOURS
My 1st Day in Bagan and off I go for a half-day tour for temples. I did not do it the whole day, so I won't be overwhelmed knowing that there are many of them for me to choose. 

I visited around 10 temples, but to no avail, I witnessed the sunset. The same thing happened with me in Siem Reap ;( As soon as we reached the hill the rain started to pour down.

Temple tour Cost: $25 

Bagan has often been compared to Cambodia’s Angkor Wat with its thousand temples and brown stupa. Angkor Wat has huge and gigantic temples, but here in Bagan, it is composed of square type structures, smaller temples said to be more or less 4000. With the flat terrain, and the reddish dusty sand, surrounded by huge beautiful trees once can say that it’s a little like the one in Siem Reap. But, yes the place has its own beauty and I’d say it is more laid back, with much lesser crowds.







One of my favorite temples in Bagan

We started it very sunny and took this shot with direct sunlight



Finally! have a souvenir photo, asked some tourist to take one for me






Some Woodcarvers going to the  viewing Hill


Nevertheless, it was a fulfilling tour. Thank you to my driver and tour guide. He has brought me to some of the magnificent structures all over the town. Though it was super hot in the afternoon there were lesser crowds during my visit. It was the best time to appreciate all these beautiful architecture. 

I had an early dinner in Bagan, had a local popular chicken meal with soup and cucumber. Good enough for me to sleep well, looking forward to another meaningful day in the city.

A lovely temple, undergoing renovation

And it is getting gloomy, I missed the sunset in Bagan


MT. POPA DAY TOUR
2nd day in Bagan and my driver/tour guide suggested I should go to Mt. Popa. He is also the same driver for my temple tour. 

After a big buffet breakfast from the hotel, my driver was eagerly waiting outside so we can start early for our trip. I'll be traveling via rented car, traveling solo so I didn't have someone to share the cost;-(

Mt. Popa is another iconic sighting in Myanmar, and it's popularly called the sleeping volcano as it looks like one from a distance, with its shining gold accent. 

This is around 50 km away from Bagan Town center, it will take around 1 hour and 3 minutes to travel going up. 

Mt. Popa Tour via Cab: $50 

A view while driving towards the entrance

Mt.Popa is a temple situated at the top of a mountain. It happens to be a pilgrimage site, and you would still see a number of locals doing this tradition. 

In order to get you the top of the monastery, you will have to complete 777 steps. Plus you will have to conquer your fears, with the overwhelming presence of the monkey family surrounding the whole area even from the main entrance.



Sunflower Garden

On our way, we dropped by some known places for souvenirs and picture taking, he knew that I enjoy taking pictures a lot. 


These are pictures I have taken, for some sites we have visited as we traveled going to Mt. Popa.  

Carabao's are turning around to grind the peanuts
Peanut Makers




Here we stopped for a few minutes, visiting Mt. Popa Market to buy some snacks. My driver suggested should try some of their fruits that taste the sweetest. 

MT. POPA MARKET 












this is my driver "Thu"

I thought my driver will accompany me going up, but he only gave instructions that he will be waiting outside. Reminded me to be back in the same door that I entered. My bad, I forgot that this was the one filled with a thousand monkeys to welcome you! 

This left me speechless and I can’t put it into words how scary it is. I brave myself and my driver pointed me to some tourist who was about to start the walk going up. I smiled at them and ask if I can join them.

Upon entering, you will pass by some small shops and a few meters away you will be asked to leave your footwear, and leave your stuff so it won’t get the attention of the friendly monkeys. 

The majority of the temples in Myanmar will ask you to go barefoot inside their temples, same rules apply, no short shorts, and cover yourself.


With all the monkeys around, all you need to do is to focus on your steps, make it faster so you can go up to the top. NOTE: You will be passing by a lot of monkey poops so make sure to be careful with your steps and bring lots and lots of tissues and wipes. 

Sadly, I only had a few pictures once I got inside because I kept my camera in my small bag while feeling terrified about what’s happening. Honestly, I have this fear for most animals and yes that includes monkeys! I needed to focus on not being chased or touched. 


one of the few shots at the top of the monastery
You would also notice some locals are lined up in the stairs. They happen to be voluntary cleaners for the animal waste in the stairway, in return they get donations from the tourist. Unfortunately, they would try to give out more sugar food to the monkeys, as this will make them poo more, meaning this makes them earn more money with more chances of cleaning. Once fed, they will go in the same direction for food like a hoard of monkeys another terrifying sight for me to see. Some monkeys are also hit by some slingshots especially if they would try to chase tourists.


Thank you to my new found tour mates from Spain who has protected and put me in the middle position as we traverse going up. I was not able to save the pictures but I can still remember their faces and the sweet gesture, though we find it hard to communicate. Thank God for these good people.

Once at the top of Mt. Popa, the landscape is such a beauty, giving you another view of the whole landmass of the city. This is another unforgettable experience to remember, visiting one of the most sacred sites of the country - such a gigantic structure built for pilgrimage, plus your chase for the monkeys :-)

Went back to my hotel in the afternoon for a quick rest. Then I went out and checked one popular dining based on Trip Advisor results - a chance for me to eat some local dishes. My hotel already booked me a bus ticket so I was just waiting to be picked up. I decided to be spending my few hours roaming around the place take pictures before I bid goodbye and get on another overnight bus to my next destination. 


Comments